May 27, 2020
After 75 days of quarantine here in Barcelona, things are finally starting to look up again. The temperature is up, the sun is shining, and we’re ready to get out of the house. This past Monday marked the start of Phase 1, and here is what’s permitted:
Only within your time slot, you may:
- Walk and exercise, further than 1 km of your house but always within city boundaries.
- Walk and exercise at the beach (including swimming, surfing, paddle boarding, etc.).
→ If you live within 1 km of the beach, you may walk or exercise outside your time slot.
→ You are still not allowed to swim recreationally or sit on the beach.
Time slots are 6:00-10:00 am & 8:00-11:00 pm for those between 14 and 69 years of age.
Any time of day you may:
- Meet with 10 people maximum, maintaining a physical distance of 2 meters.
→ You are allowed to sit on benches and in grassy areas and parks.
- Eat and drink on terraces (50% capacity), maintaining distance between tables.
→ The chiringuitos on the beach will also open.
→ Only about 20% of bars and restaurants in Barcelona will open during this phase as the majority claim they won’t be able to turn a profit under the current restrictions.
- Shop in stores smaller than 400 square meters (30% capacity).
- Visit places of worship (30% capacity).
- Exercise in open air sports facilities (30% capacity) and play non-contact sports like tennis and paddle.
→ Some gyms will open for individual training with an appointment, though dressing rooms will remain closed.
- Visit museums (30% capacity) and libraries only to borrow or return books.
- Ride in a car or taxi with people you live with (without a mask) or with just one person you don’t live with (with a mask).
Masks are required on public transport and in all closed public spaces, shops, workplaces, and outside if social distancing is impossible.
Travel between Barcelona and its surrounding municipalities, including Sant Adria de Besos, Badalona and L’Hospitalet, remains prohibited.
(Expected to start June 8th, at the earliest)
Time slots will be removed, though you should not walk or exercise from 10:00-12:00 or 19:00-20:00, hours reserved for those over 70 years of age. You will be able to:
- Meet with 15 people maximum, maintaining social distance.
- Swim recreationally and sit on the beach, maintaining social distance.
- Go to shops, bars and restaurants (40% capacity), maintaining distance between tables.
- Visit places of worship (50% capacity).
- Go to the gym, swimming pools and movie theaters with assigned seating (30% capacity).
- Return to class at Languages4Life! Our school has taken all the necessary health measures, and we will be requiring the use of masks and proper social distancing.
(Expected to start June 22nd, at the earliest)
- Shops will open up to 50% capacity.
- Nightclubs will open with limited capacity.
Although we are all anxious to return to the new normal, let’s not forget to take the important sanitary precautions and stop this virus together! Wear your masks, wash your hands, and social distance. The safer we are, the sooner we’ll be able to fully enjoy Barcelona again!