If you are a European citizen and have a European passport, you are free to live and study in Spain without a visa. However, if you are a non-EU citizen you will need a visa to live and study in Spain. A tourist visa will be fine if you’re planning to study for up to three months, but if you wish to stay in Barcelona for longer than three months then your tourist visa won’t be sufficient.
Sign up for Spanish lessons at Languages4Life
You can process a student visa by signing up to Spanish lessons at our school, Languages4Life. You can sign up to whatever length of course suits your needs and your visa will be valid as long as you’re signed up to a course. Classes are in the mornings so your schedule will be free from lunchtime
The prices for these are:
Spanishfor a 6 month Student Visa
Spanishfor a 9 month Student Visa
Spanishfor a 12 month Student Visa
- Enrolment fee and first book included in the given prices.
- Classes include two hours of lecture and two hours of study time each day from Monday through Friday.
This is a great way to make the most of your time in Barcelona and learn some Spanish along the way.
How do we help you process a visa?
When you decide to take a Spanish course at Languages4Life, our student visa service is provided at no additional cost. We are very proud of the support we offer students at each stage of the process and of our 100% success rate in processing student visas. We offer a variety of courses starting at 277€ per month up to 12 months, allowing you to work up to 20 hours per week in Spain and travel freely throughout Europe and the rest of the world.
Support before you arrive in Barcelona:
- Help you choose the best Spanish course for your needs
- Inform you of all the necessary paperwork
- Help you complete the application forms
- Exclusive offer on health insurance for non E.U. applicants
- Excellent customer service and fast replies to enquiries
Support once you are in Barcelona:
- Help you book an appointment to get your NIE
- Help you with your residency registration (empadronamiento)
- Help with Spanish forms and translations
What documents do I need?
The Spanish consulate requires the following documents:
- Passport, valid for 6 months beyond your stay in Spain
- Spanish student visa application form (downloadable pdf)
- 2 x passport photos
- Official Letter of Acceptance from Languages4Life
- Criminal background check
- Medical certificate
- Medical insurance
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay
- Proof of address in your home country
If you would like to discuss the process in more detail you are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or book an appointment to talk at the school / via Skype.
And if you would like to read about recent, first-hand experiences we highly recommend joining the Barcelona Expats page on Facebook. It is a very active online community with tons of non-EU members and Barcelona-based expats sharing their experiences. If you use their search function on the top right-hand corner of the page to search, for example, ‘visa’, you’ll find lots of active discussions.
Frequently Asked Questions about student visas
How many hours can I work on a student visa?
Officially up to 20 hours per week on an Internship Contract.
How long does it take to process a student visa?
It varies from country to country but on average you should give yourself 2 months from start to finish.
Can I extend my student visa from within Spain?
Yes, if you have a long-term visa (7 months or more) you can extend from within Spain by signing up to further courses.
Can I process a visa from within Spain?
No, all first-time visas must be processed from your home country.
I already have a student visa with a different school. Can I renew with Languages4Life?
Yes, you just need to enroll with us and we’ll provide the necessary letter to take to the administration office. You will need a letter from your previous school to prove that you attended the classes and learned some Spanish.
Can I leave the EU to reset my tourist visa?
Yes, but you would have to leave the EU for a minimum of 3 months to do so.
Students applying for a student visa are also required to have health insurance. Here is some information on obtaining health insurance.